AIRBORNE EARLY WARNING SQUADRON FOUR
THE "HURRICANE HUNTERS" EMBLEM
Various squadron emblems were used by naval air units with
the mission of hurricane reconnaissance from 1943 until 1952. The present emblem of
Airborne Early Warning Squadron Four is a legacy of Weather Squadron Two and its
In early 1952, the United States Navy commissioned Weather
Squadron Two at the Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida. The primary mission of this
unit was hurricane reconnaissance. As each squadron in the naval air arm has an emblem
that is symbolic of its mission, an immediate effort was begun to develop an emblem for
Weather Squadron Two.
Through means of a squadron-wide contest, designs were
received and considered for possible use. The winning design - which has become well known
throughout the world -was submitted by Lieutenant (j.g.) M. H. Henry.
Lieutenant Henry's design embodied the basic features of the
mission of hurricane Reconnaissance. The background is composed of a gray cloud on a field
of white; a green shield; and a sea of blue. The large gray cloud represents a cumulus
nimbus cloud formation that is typical of a tropical storm. The green shield is a symbolic
color denoting rain on weather maps and charts. The turbulent blue sea across the bottom
is another quality of a hurricane.
The double red flags with black centers, located in the
lower left-hand corner of the shield are internationally recognized flag signals for
Also, in the upper right hand corner of the shield is an
eye. This eye represents the "eye" of a hurricane, which is the goal of the
search plane. Across the shield is a bolt of lightning indicating the severity of the
weather into which the aircraft must fly.
At the top of the shield are the gold wings of aerographers
mate. These wings demote the importance of the "flying weathermen" to the
mission of the squadron. Below the green shield, imposed on the blue sea is found a white
ribbon pennant that bears the name by which the squadron has become known
This emblem was considered so indicative and
applicable to the mission of hurricane reconnaissance that when Weather Squadron Two was
re-designated as Airborne Early Warning Squadron Four on December 15, 1953 the insignia
was retained as the official squadron emblem.